Diabetes Self Management Class
Diabetes Self Management (DSM) is a two hour course, spread as two sessions of one hour each on two separate Monday mornings at 10 am.
DSM is a comprehensive diabetes treatment and education program teaches patients with Type 2 diabetes how to:
- Self-monitor their blood sugar readings
- Adjust carbohydrate intake
- Take medications
- Eat everything you love in moderation
- Manage hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Manage hyperglycemia (high blood sugar)
- Manage diabetes during stress, sickness
- Exercise in diabetes
- Reduce risks of complications from diabetes
- Cope with the emotional experience of living with diabetes
- Family involvement and social support
- Relationships among nutrition, exercise, medication and blood glucose levels
The interactive and friendly class takes place in Hindi and English. Participants are encouraged to share their observations and successes to build confidence in their ability to manage their health.